Bring me the buttons, that I might mash them! I am so pumped for this game, Geeks, I can’t even tell you…and the inclusion of a proper story mode just sweetens the pot so much more.
The “Marvel vs Capcom” series is notorious for putting off-the-wall match-ups on the screen and its insane screen-filling combos but this iteration seems to be driven with a more-than-paper-thin story featuring a synthesised villain belonging to BOTH universes. Behold the glorious trailer below and revel on the insanity!
The game’s antagonist(s) put my man, Mega Man X, at the forefront of the story – treatment he hasn’t received since “Mega Man X 8” back in 2004. The alliance of MMX villain Sigma and the Avengers’ Ultron makes sense from a character perspective, although I gotta say that the design hasn’t fully sold me yet.
Capcom’s most recent fighting game, “Street Fighter V”, was widely criticised for its’ lack of a story mode at launch and a proper arcade mode…two problems that MvCI has an opportunity to solve. The fighting genre isn’t known for its’ storytelling but this trailer is filled with promise. If each character has a series of battles against possessed opponents leading to a character specific sub-boss before facing down Ultron Sigma himself, I would be one happy camper.
New Characters Revealed
The trailer also reveals more of the roster. Captain America, Iron Man, Captain Marvel, Mega Man, Ryu, and Morrigan had already been announced in previous trailers (as well as a peek at using the Power and Time infinity stones in battle) – the story announcement adds:
- Strider Hiryu (Strider – I don’t see any big changes from the Ultimate MvC3)
- Hulk (Bruce Banner – big improvement on his facial proportions from UMvC3)
- Chris Redfield (Resident Evil – Kinda disappointing. I was hoping for Leon from RE2/RE4)
- Thor (looking a lot like Oliver Copiel’s rendition – just like UMvC3)
- Chun Li (Street Fighter – wearing her classic SF2 costume but she has done so in just about every SF game except the Alpha prequel series)
- Hawkeye (Clint Barton – I was really hoping for Kate Bishop. Szpirs Sad.)
- Rocket Raccoon (In his GotG movie costume…and no longer Australian.)
For all my design gripes, the character animation and movements are fluid and detailed with tonnes of personality. I’ve heard that this story trailer was rendered in-game, so the characters should look and move more-or-less as advertised here. This game looks like a fun, What-If style romp and I am putting my money down on it today. Quarters up, Geeks. Let’s mash some buttons. – Szpirs